The Civil Service officer works hard for years and years not for the IAS salary but for the nation. However, these big responsibilities come with great pay too. Firstly, the salary of the IAS officer is quite high to meet his/her daily needs. Secondly, from house help to medical benefits, they get additional perks. They get perks because the exam is really tough to crack and a lot of patience and hard work. It takes years of focus and hard work. Also, IAS officers have great responsibility too. They present the nation at the international level for negotiation. Moreover, many IAS officers leave their private jobs and a high salary to enter Civil Services
The government of India elects a Pay Commission to finalize the salary of central government employees. Moreover, the government of India finalizes whether to choose it or reject it. Also, the inflation rate affects salary. To sum up, it means that the salary keeps fluctuating according to the economy. However, the salary keeps on increasing with time. And from transport to house help, everything is under government expense.
The 7th Pay Commission was approved by the cabinet on 29th June 2018. Moreover, the IAS officer gets 56,100 as the basic pay at the entry-level. Then 16,500 is the grade pay. Also, the maximum salary of a senior IAS officer is 2,70,000. And the additional allowances are:
- Dearness Allowance
- House Rent Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Transport Allowance
- Medical Allowance
These are a few out of many allowances that are given to the IAS officer. So, the final estimated salary is:
Gross Salary = Basic Pay + Grade Pay + DA + HRA + CA + other allowances
The HRA is generally 8-24% of both pays, the calculation is according to the city. Moreover, IAS salary for class A cities is 24%. For class B it is 16% and for class C cities it is 8%. However, accommodation is provided but without HRA. The IAS salary can fulfill all the basic needs. Since most of the basic expenditure is taken care of, they can save quite an amount till the retirement age.
IAS Salary during Training
The IAS officers get paid too during the training. But officially it is not salary, it is termed as Special Pay Advance. However, the amount is 45,000 per month that they get during the entire period. In other words, at the end of the day, they get 38,500 because 10,000 is deducted as a bill of mess food, uniform, tracksuit, horse riding costumes, etc. It also includes other miscellaneous expenses.
Basic Pay and Grade Pay of IAS on the Basis of Rank
The whole IAS cadre is divided into 8 Ranks or grades. Moreover, the basic pay keeps on increasing time to time as they keep getting promotions. Also, the promotion is on a service record basis and happens every 4-5 years. On the other hand, the IAS salary depends upon his/her experience, ranks, and pay grade. Also, The retirement package includes benefits like service vehicles, house help, security for the family. In other words, these benefits and salaries of the IAS officer can never be offered by the private sector. Though the salary at a private firm can be high, the respect that an IAS officer receives is incomparable.
|Pay Grade||Grade||Basic Pay||Grade Pay||Service Period||Post|
|10||Junior Scale||50,000 – 1,50,000||16,500||0-4 years||SDM, SDO, ADM (after 2 years probation period)|
|11||Senior Time Scale||50,000 – 1,50,001||20,000||5 years||DM, DC, Joint Secretary|
|12||Junior Administrative Grade||50,000 – 1,50,002||23,000||9 years||Special Secretary, State Government Department Heads|
|13||Selection Grade||1,00,000 – 2,00,000||26,000||12-15 years||Ministry Department Head|
|14||Super Time Scale||1,00,000 – 2,00,000||30,000||17-20||Director of any Ministry|
|15||Above Super Time Scale||1,00,000 – 2,00,000||30,000||Not Fixed||Commissioner, Additional Secretary|
|16||Apex Scale||2,40,000(fixed)||NA||Not Fixed||Chief Secretary in Ministries|
|17||Cabinet Secretary Grade||2,70,000||NA||Not Fixed||Cabinet Secretary|
The IAS post is much more than its salary. Many people don’t know how much hard work it goes to become an IAS officer. Moreover, some don’t even have the idea of how strong and powerful the position is. This what makes the UPSC exam so difficult to crack. In short, if you are thinking to be an IAS officer, do prepare thoroughly at home.
Perks and Allowances other than IAS Salary
There are a number of perks and allowances given to an IAS officer. Also, the government offers much more than the private sector. Here are some of the benefits other than IAS salary:
- Accommodation – IAS officers get big houses as accommodation by the government. Moreover, it is free of cost and get additional services as well. It includes house help, gardener, cook, security guard, and security for the family as well. Also, they don’t have to lift a finger as the basic small chores are done by servants too.
- Transport – Government vehicles and chauffeurs are provided to them. Also, more than one vehicle can be provided too.
- Security – IAS is the highest position in civil service and so danger is a part of the job. However, security for the officer and his/her family is provided to protect them. Also in emergencies, STF commandoes are provided for extra protection.
- Bills – The bills are usually free or highly subsidized. In short, it includes electricity, water, phone, and gas connections.
- Trips – IAS officers get highly subsidized accommodation in government bungalows. Moreover, the trip can be official or non-official – it doesn’t matter. However, when they visit Delhi, they can stay in State Bhavans.
- Study Leaves – Firstly, an IAS officer can get study leaves for 2 years. Secondly, they can also apply to prestigious foreign universities. The government will bear the expenses but there are restrictions too. Officers who have served for 7 years can apply for this facility. Also, they have to sign the bond stating that after returning they will serve as IAS for a certain number of years.
- Job Security – An IAS officer enjoys a great sense of job security. Because, it is not easy to fire an IAS officer. If an IAS officer is found guilty, there is proper investigation before any decision is finalized.
- Lifetime Pension – An IAS officer enjoys lifetime pension and other retirement benefits too.
- Post Retirement – After retirement officers can easily be appointed to commissions. Moreover, their services can be availed in other government departments.
Power of IAS Officer
Other than IAS salary, the officer has great power and responsibilities. Also, even if the IAS salary gets matched or sometimes less than the private sector, the power and command are unmatched by other professions.
- Firstly, the IAS officer holds the administration charge of the entire district/state/department/ministry.
- Secondly, many people depend on them for working efficiently and smoothly.
- Moreover, they have the authority for bringing positive changes in society. Education, health, and economy policies are influenced by them. In other words, the unmatched power to serve the country is unique.
This position is much more than that of IAS Salary. Only an IAS officer can actively take part in the country’s betterment. To clarify, the combination of IAS Salary and the power is unique and impressive. So, one has to put in 100% hard work and keep the motivation alive to clear the final stage of selection. Above all, it takes years of focus, and patriotism to be the one.